What is an inkjet coder machine?
Inkjet coders are printers used to imprint vital information like batch numbers, expiration dates and barcodes onto packaging materials. They propel tiny droplets of ink onto the packaging surface to create consistently legible prints. Sometimes they are called date coders or inkjet coder printers.
There are two main types of coders: thermal inkjet coders and continuous inkjet coders.
Thermal Inkjet Coders (TIJ)
TIJ coders use thermal technology to heat and vaporise the ink, this creates small bubbles that propel the ink onto the packaging.
These are the most common type of printer used by our customers because they’re easy to use, low maintenance and have a high print resolution. Thermal inkjet coders are ideal for small and medium sized production lines.
Continuous Inkjet Coders (CIJ)
CIJ coders use a continuous stream of ink droplets. A high-speed deflection system directs the characters to form the correct shapes for letters and characters.
These are designed for high-speed production lines and are typically only used by large food production operations. While they are faster and offer a wider range of ink colours, they consume more ink and require regular maintenance.
How to choose the right inkjet coder
To select the best coder for your food business you need to take into account things like production speed, packaging materials and print quality.
We recommend you consider the following steps:
- Ensure compatibility: Confirm the coder works well with your packaging materials.
- Evaluate print quality and speed: Find a balance between resolution and production speed.
- Consider ease of use and maintenance: Look for a user-friendly coder with manageable upkeep.
- Factor in costs: Consider upfront price, maintenance expenses, and long-term value.
- Choose a reliable supplier: Select a reputable supplier with good support and service.
The easiest way to be sure you get a coder that ticks all of those boxes is to get in touch with us. Our packaging machine specialists will ask you about your products and operations to make sure we can recommend the best coder for the job.